Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Daily Grind

The Shire
And so goes life. I've been spending a lot of time in Rüschegg (aka the Shire) with some friends lately. The American family left today back to the US for a month... Hopefully they bring me back some decent gum. None of this chiqulett crap!

Anyway, I now think that I have appropriated a good amount of mistakes to let them be known to the world. While attempting to speak german, I've said that I was 35, asked someone not where they lived (intended question) but who they love, and more mumble jumbles that have insinuated more "ehhhhs?" Than I care to remember. HOWEVER thank gosh that the one time I was checked on the bus for a ticket (I didn't know my after 7 passed worked only on the train) I managed to communicate out "I've just moved here" (only it probably sounded more like "I just movenhalosk here"), "this doesn't work?" and "I don't have my passport with me." Thank gosh he was a nice old man and after 5 minutes of discussion (ish) he said, "ok this works," Pointing to my other pass which had expired 2 hours earlier. Danke schön for letting me off of a 100 CHF ticket!

Poor guy... he must have never gotten the vacination
More mistakes, well more like now I feel really stupids. When I first came everyone was on these weird crutch things that strapped to their arms. Did Switzerland not get the polio vaccine? (My initial thoughts.) Alas no... These are Europe's form of crutches and it was just after ski season... The last mistake involves shower gel and a very bashful me hoping that what I was buying really indeed was, shower gel. (French for shower is Douche.)

With the language I'm doing ok although you know how people say that once you begin dreaming in the language you know you're fluent? Not true. I dreamt in German last night and when I got stumped somewhere around 4 am, my brain woke me up! And just saying, I'm nowhere near to being even amateur with the language. Here are just some random pictures that make up the daily grind!


BEST CHOCOLATE BUNNY EVER. Holy. My host family gave this to me for Easter!  


Random poster that is everywhere. I have no idea what it is actually for.

What a vending machine looks like in Switzerland! 

Cannabis iced tea?? Interesting...

There were so many gnomes decorating this house that my camera couldn't quite catch them all.

Normal house. Not cabin. House..

The mistakes I know won't stop.. seeing as today I was trying to get on a different bus and the doors closed. On me. Let's see what happens in Italy!! Which is where I am off to tomorrow!

Probably the same bus that attacked me.

No comments:

Post a Comment