Saturday, March 17, 2012

Coconuts and Peaches

When I first came over here I expected a few differences but not many. Perhaps I probably should have expected more. It's said that english speaking countries and cultures are like peaches. They have soft outsides and let everyone in quickly. Everyone is their friend! Europeans on the other hand, are like coconuts. You're not going to be there best friend until some time and experiences has past.

Personal example #1. You know how in the US we always male fun of those europeans who wear socks with their sandals? Yeah. Here it's the other way around. I wasn't wearing socks with my sperry's (boating kind of shoes) and literally got a shudder from someone.
Personal example #2. Meat. Don't eat it every day. (This inspired yet another shudder.)
Personal example #3. Obviously the language. These boys came over for Benni and rang the doorbell. No one was home so I had to answer and when I said he wasn't home in german they asked me another question. Uh... I had no idea. So I kind of just repeated myself, said I don't speak german and attempted to say "he'll be here in maybe 30 more minutes." Then they started to laugh and just walked away! Ok.... Ciao ciao! I went inside and translated what I said.. It went something like, "perhaps it is articulated to be here in 30 minutes more." I'd probably laugh at me too.
Personal example #4. Apparently cold drinks are bad for you? When I said I liked ice in my herbal tea (which they have at every meal) my host family looked at me like I was crazy!

There are and will be many more examples to come I'm sure but anyway, life here is good! I'm feeling much more comfortable with the actual Bern area after exploring it on several different occasions. On one such occasion I drank out of one of the fountains (delicious water by the way), played this life sized intense version of tic tac toe on the bundeshausplatz, and watched the very old Zytglogge chime on the hour. It was actually kinda creepy. The chimes were in the minor key and this little jester began to hit his head while random peasants danced around. On another outing I saw the bears (sooooo cute) and had lunch on one of the streets. It was kinda weird because two different people asked me where I was from and the first one thought I was from Germany or Sweden but then quickly found out I wasn't (because of my lack of german skills) and the other one got huge eyes and said "Oh." when I said the US. I still don't know what kind of "oh" she meant. Hm!



Das Munster
Der Zytglogge


SO MUCH DETAIL

More... detail..

I wonder what they were thinking when they sculpted these.. (i actually just found out. This guy is facing West, to France, because the Swiss people were sick of France trying to take them over way back when!)

Margarita pizza #2

Chindlifressen-brunnen. NOM NOM NOM! Built to scare young  medieval swiss kinder.
Other than that Farewell from the barbarian aus den USA!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad we could bail you out of jail last night:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just kidding! But don't forget to wear your socks with your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your blog. Loved it! I really wasn't going to post the jail comment, hope your mom knows I was kidding. It was fun to get to know you. Please don't hesitate to call if you need anything. I am 8 months into what you are beginning and it's not easy. I'd love to help. 310 315 0279 or 0774889913

    ReplyDelete