Friday, March 9, 2012

In der Schweiz

It's so lovely here! But really kind of different. These last couple of days have kind of gone by in a blur. There is SO MUCH to take in. Especially with the language. Only Regula, the mom, really speaks a lot of English. For the other part it's mainly German. Usually Swiss... Swiss German sounds like Chinese. Last night when I tried to go to bed my brain was going CRAZY. I was up til 3 am just processing words and trying to memorize them without even wanting to.

My Luggage came yesterday. Two 50 lb bags and all that I didn't have to lug myself the hour and a half ride from Zurich. Grathias Iberia, Grathias.  ALSO! Because they lost my luggage they gave me this little overnight case and guess what it had in it. PERFUME! And it smells so good! Anyway, yesterday Paige and I went into Bern and it was lovely. I had my very first piece of Swiss chocolate. I enjoyed all 3.50 CHF of that freaking expensive truffle. The clothing shops here are really nice too. The fashion here is a bit more conservative than the United States. More classic and almost preppy looking. I all of a sudden have the desire to own a pair of baggy khaki pants. But everything is SO expensive and nothing seems to be on sale. 

Whilst we were out.. we came across some guys (I swear they have gypsy heritage!) playing the bagpipes and some other very interesting flute exotic sounding instrument. They were dancing around and getting very into it. This lady in the audience got really into it to! I wish I had gotten it on video. I left them 2 CHF. (FYI the exchange rate is about 1 CHF = 1.09 USD.)


Onto the language barrier... I was just randomly taking pictures when apparently I had taken one of this guy. So he came up and was talking to me! He was smiling so I'm sure it couldn't have been bad but I had no idea what he was saying.. so all I could say was, "Nein, danke." (No thanks.) Another time that same night I went into a watch shop and the very cute worker there starting speaking to me in Swiss German. AH! All I could do was bashfully say yet again, "Nein, danke" and avoid eye contact. I felt so bad!! Luckily he heard Paige and me speaking English so he exclaimed "ah! You are English!" and after that it was an extremely pleasant conversation. 

Today, it was a very Au Pairy day. Woke up at 7:30 and had  Frühstück (breakfast) with the youngest boy, Benni. He wasn't too interested in eating though. Then I studied German for about eh... 45 minutes. After Paige and I went on a lovely morning walk! The wanderweg (walking paths) here are really nice. The Swiss are all about being outside and enjoying nature. The brisk walk and morning sun was perfect to see Mittelhäusern. We were walking past this house that sold its own eggs and flowers and this HUUUUGE St. Bernard came and attacked me with love. No jumping but a lot of leaning up against and giving me this soulful look that I'm pretty sure meant, "pet me!" His very happy Swiss owner came out and started talking to me about the dog but sadly I did not understand. Ugh this is getting annoying.

We had Fondue for dinner tonight. It was good! But very heavy. The cheese was difficult to make and had wine in it I believe... we dipped bread, potatoes, and vegetables in it. Alex, the father, says that I am now half Swiss because I liked it. I also gave them their gifts and I think they went over pretty well. Regula, the mother, loved the Indian medicine bag that I got for her from a Reservation near to back home. At least I think she did...

Die Schweiz

Morgen Laufen! 

Literally just walked up to this cow. It was a little scared until I said in German, "Come beautiful cow!" So it either understood me or was just curious about my glove... good thing it wasn't leather.

Crepes (they call them either pancakes or omelettes here) that I made for lunch!  For some odd reason they turned out better than they ever have in the US.
Everything else is good! Except I'm really sad because Paige is leaving tomorrow. No more mentor I'm on my own! Kinda really nervous...

2 comments:

  1. Holy Moly cous! I'm loving your pictures. Keep doing this! I enjoyed reading the whole thing! Also, I am jealous that you have a cow in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so brave... I'd be terrified if I was you. But you are going to have an awesome year. And get hit on by A LOT of people.

    ReplyDelete