Sunday, March 11, 2012

Margarita Pizza? S'il vous plait

Random street in Bern.
Europeans don't know how lucky they are. Well except maybe the french and swiss. French because, well we all know the french, and the swiss because on more than one occasion since being here has someone told me that switzerland is the best country. But the fact that they grow up in landscapes like this is incredible! And I feel like such a dork because I want to take a picture of seriously everything. Of course we've all seen pictures of the famous buildings, architecture, blah blah… but it's simply their way of life that I find so beautiful.
Freiburg.
Yesterday (saturday) I went into town. ALL BY MYSELF. For some reason this incites people to smile not because they're saying good job but because apparently it's easy? Maybe if I had grown up though in a country that actually uses trains and speaks german it would be but alas, I come from idaho. So I view this as a huge accomplishment. However, my stay in bern was short lived because I'm pretty sure my sweat was showing through my jacket (past the usual guard of the shirt) at being so scared to get lost. I stayed on the same road and took a gander in h and m (and bought those khakis...which after I figure out how to say "can I return these" will probably return) and in müller. Müller is like a drugstore pharmacy place. There I successfully got the cheapest toothpaste and one of the least expensive bodywash (alltogether 7 CHF). It's funny too because it's french bodywash... Can you imagine what that goes for in the US? Definitely not the cheapest there. So after looking at the prices of mascara (anywhere from 15-20 CHF) I figured out that those pants aren't worth the price at the cost of my hygeine.
Thanks Paige.

For dinner I had chocolate. Go figure. Later I meant up with Paige and her friends for Paige's going away night.

Today I had cereal! Yes it does exist here! I was so excited to eat those cocoa puff looking things until I took the first bite and they tasted like corn puffs. Oh well it was still really good in it's own way and probably a lot more healthy. Then I had time to go on a jog before dinner at five. (I woke up pretty late. I still haven't really ajusted to the time difference.) My jog was gorgeous. I went down by the river and just ran alongside it. Regula, my host mom, says that it's a good place. Scientifically proven even. She says that they've meassured the radiation in the air or something... I guess that means good vibe?
Just driving through Freiburg.
For dinner we drove to Freiburg which is in the french part of switzerland. It was only a 20 minute drive... On the way we picked up regula's father who lives in a retirement center. To all old people in the world: if you speak french and german, retire here! The center where he lives is run by catholic volunteers basically and the building and grounds are absolutely stunning. From there we went to this italian restaurant called "leonardo de vinci." First margarita pizza in europe? Check. And it was soooo good.

Notice the bite in the middle covered up by the basil.. I couldn't even wait to take the picture!
                     Well tomorrow officially starts my first day as an Au Pair! So until then, gute nacht.
I spy with my little eye.. The womping willow!
Aka the Harry Potter tree.
They're everywhere!




No comments:

Post a Comment