Sunday, May 6, 2012

Frühling (Springtime)


Heidi had it about right.


This last week has been very spring like. I swear that everything just decided to turn green overnight. Before I went to bed.. Same old brown green ish mountain. Next morning.. Green and lime green mountain.. WHOA?! Says my head as I unintentionally double take. Not only that but there are animals EVERYWHERE! All different kinds of goats, lambs, donkeys, cows, horses, you name it. And they all have babies! My favorite animal encounters so far are seeing two little baby lambs going at it (like head butting one another), seeing the crazed look in the baby horse's eyes as I run by, being stared at by more or less 50 cows all at the same time (kind of intimidating actually), and my favorite is running alongside a herd of lambs and hearing the tingle of the bells around their necks. It sounds so beautiful (like music!) that I usually run past them a couple of times. Something that I don't understand though is why cats think you can't see them if they crouch down... Every time I see this I yell boo with scary hands just to prove them wrong and to see them flee. Heh heh.


Beautiful rose bush. Notice random gnomes in the background that I just BARELY did.
So other than the Frühling in the air, things have been going nicely. I'm FINALLY starting to get a grip on the German and have so far had 3 conversations in German! Well ish. On friday my friend Nadine invited me over for a barbecue with her family. When I first met her parents back in March I felt so awkward because literally had no idea what was going on. For example Nadine's mom would ask me something (what would I like anything to drink?) and I would answer.. "yaaa!" But over dinner Friday (even if they did have to kind of dumb it down for me) we spoke in German for basically the whole time!

Then today at church the cuuutest little old lady smiled at me! So during break I decided that I had to try and say something so I went up to her and said, "Hallo! Ich möchte mit dir sprechen. Aber Achtung! Ich spreche noch nicht sehr gut Deutsch..." translation-- "hello I would like to talk to you! But beware! I don't speak German very well yet.". I think this is what I'm going to say to everyone from now on. "Beware!" So we had a lovely conversation and I learned that she had been a chocolatier! I don't remember for how many years she said because I was already well into exclaiming how much I love Swiss chocolate... She then told me to come over sometime and get some and gave me her address! Don't mind if I do.. I answered that when my German was better in two weeks (hopefully) that I would come. Such a cute lady! Her name is Hedwig and she is about 90 years old.
Nadine + Barbecuing = YUM!
Then the other conversation was with the missionary from Germany. We just talked about simple things and I've found that his High German is a lot easier to understand. But can I just say how proud I am of myself?! Give myself two pats on the back I will.

Other than that Saturday I walked all around Bern with my fellow American friend Kaytlyn and was forced to buy a shirt. When I say forced, I mean forced! Stupid Celsius. It's a little too late to change when I notice on the train that i'm always either dressed too heavily or not enough compared to everyone else. So alas, I had dressed for a 20 or 30 degree fahrenheit day heavy black coat and all when it was indeed a 65 degree fahrenheit day.

Altstadt of Bern
Beautiful Kaytlyn and I enjoying the view over the Aare! Right behind us there is a full blown market in swing.
Potential Christmas Present for my Dad?

Haven't gained that much weight ok Mom...

Das Munster lurking behind the greenery of the trees
 Last, is my new obsession. MAGEN BROT! You can usually find these little turd looking like pieces at any market. What they are is like these tiny little cake/bread pieces with spices like anise, cinnamon, etc... dipped/soaked in chocolate frosting. So basically black licorice chocolate frosting coated spice cake... I love it so much that I coheresed Nadine to make it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment