Friday, May 11, 2012

Sometimes English is Best

Highlights of the week are so far knowing that there is a jaguar running around somewhere (escaped from the zoo), taking a walk round the rosengarten with my friend natasha (i figured out that i can't stay in mittelhausern all day), and telling this crazy drunk man that i couldn't understand what he was saying to me. His answer? "das ist besser" (that is better (that i don't understand him)) Also, benni actually wanted to eat lunch first instead of me having to bug him 5 times. I asked him if he was ready for lunch and his answer, "I actually am ready." I was so happy.

Then last night after Deutschkurs I went to the park behind the Münster and people watched with my british friend. Our game was to pick out the 'swiss.' it's easy to do because they're the ones always wearing socks... Despite the sandals they have on.

Two more mistakes I've made... My host mother was telling me that it was going to be a hot day! What I wanted to say? "I'm so excited!" What I actually said: "I'm so nervous!" ..... Then I was walking through Bern headed to the Library when I was ambushed by one of those organizations who ask you to donate money etc. She began speaking to me in Swiss German and I replied "sorry I can't understand Swiss German, at all." So she switched to High German! Yeah.. Still had a really difficult time.. I knew that she was explaining this organization to me but then all of a sudden she stoppd talking! It was my turn to talk! What she had asked (didn't know at the time) was how would I feel if i had special needs or a disabilty? My reply... "also.. Was machst du hier?" --- "so.. what are you doing here??" So nice, right? Her reply, "Shall I speak in English?" Haha yes please and sorry for acting like a complete jerk! You know, I will never EVER think someone is weird again if English is a Foreign language for them and they say something weird or I think that they don't understand me.

So thus far this is how my week has gone. Tomorrow I'm running in the Grand Prix, "the prettiest 10 miles of the world!" i'll be the judge of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment